I decided that I had to tell my dad. I hadn’t planned on it at all. I was going to wait until we told other people, but I was worried that it would somehow get back to him.
Here’s my logic:
Mom > Brock > Darci > Tab > someone who knows my uncle Bob > Bob > Dad
Mom > someone she works with who knows Bob’s wife > Bob’s wife > the step-whore > Dad
Brock > Bob > Dad
Any of those (or one of many other combinations) resulted in the same thing: an Eeyore conversation with my dad about why I didn’t tell him & how he had to hear it from someone else. So I called. Oy. Why did I call? It’s been 2 days, so I can’t remember everything, but here are some high points.
- Me: Dad, I’m pregnant.
- Dad: Oh…
- Dad: So what are we going to do differently this time around?
- Me: … *stammer* I’m not sure
- Dad: You’re going to quit working? Rest more?
- Me: I haven’t worked since before graduation.
- Me: We’re reevaluating our travel plans based on how I feel. We’re supposed to go to Europe for 2 weeks in June…
- Dad: Nope. In June you need to be in your pool resting. You don’t need to be traveling.
- Me: My doctor said it’s fine to fly. Flight attendants get pregnant & still fly all the time.
- Dad: Nope. I don’t like it. You need to stay home.
- Me: Well, I have to fly in September to go to Brock & Darci’s wedding.
- Dad: No, I think we’ll rent a RV & all drive up together.
- Me: No, I’ll take my chances flying.
- Me: I go in to get the blood work done at the end of next week.
- Dad: Oh, so you haven’t even been in yet?
- Me: No, but I’ve done 3 tests and they are all positive.
- Dad: Well, you still need to go in right?
- Me: Yes, I’ll be going in at the end of next week.
- Dad: Looks like we’ll both be going in to the doctor. I have to see my cardiologist at the end of next week.
- Me: *Sigh* Yes, let’s make this about you Well, that won’t be a fun visit.
He wants to have lunch early next week. I’m willing to bet that he doesn’t call or email me. (Which I am fine with.)