This is one of those you know “You grew up in the eighties when…” things, but I thought it was funny
You had a crush on one of the New Kids on the Block members. I love Joey 4-ever!
You wanted to be on StarSearch. My friend Chastity was!
You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before surgery. I had a poster of him on my wall when I was little
You wore a banana clip or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth. Until they outlawed them at my school in the fifth grade -fun killers
You wore french rolls on the bottom of your splatter painted jeans. Oh yes, I did!
You had slouch socks, and puff painted your own shirt at least once. I don’t remember puff painting anything, but hells yeah to the slouch socks!
You owned a doll with ‘Xavier Roberts’ signed on it’s butt. My first one was named Elizabeth, Brock had Burt Murdle (or something like that) I also had twins and two babies (one was black)
You knew what Willis was “talkin’ ’bout.” I never really liked that show
You know the profound meaning of “Wax on, Wax off.” Ralph Macchio also played Johnny in The Outsiders
You can name at least half of the members of the elite “Brat Pack.” I can name most of their movies too
You can remember watching full house and saved by the bell for endless hours.
“By the time I grab my books and I give myself a look I’m at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by.”
You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock.
You know that another name for a keyboard is a “Synthesizer.” I also know that a guitar/keyboard combo is called a keytar.
You hold a special place in your heart for “Back to the Future.” Only 1 & 2, 3 sucked. I even got the sunglasses from pizza hut when I went to get my Book It reward.
You know where to go if you “wanna go where everybody knows your name.” I was singing this to Hushbear right before he left for Russia.
You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. I wish I could put lipstick on using only my boobs.
You know what “Sike” means. Is that how you spell that?
You fell victim to 80’s fashion: big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, and you wore spandex pants. You should reference my fourth grade picture on this one.
You wanted to be a Goonie. Sixteen thirty two . What is that? A year?
You’ve heard of Garbage Pail Kids. Duh.
You knew “The Artist” when he was humbly called “Prince.”
You don’t have to be beautiful to turn me on
I just need your body baby
From dusk till dawn
You don’t need experience
To turn me out
You just leave it all up to me
I’m gonna show you what it’s all about
You don’t have to be rich
To be my girl
You don’t have to be cool
To rule my world
Ain’t no particular sign I’m more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your…kiss
You got to not talk dirty, baby
If you wanna impress me
You can’t be to flirty, mama
I know how to undress me (Yeah)
I want to be your fantasy
Maybe you could be mine
You just leave it all up to me
We could have a good time
- You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played “Sam” to be. Rebecca was so not his type
- You ever wore fluorescent -neon if you will clothing…(or nailpolish) I had fluorescent everything! (Including Zinc Oxide)
- You could breakdance, or wished you could. The kid around the corner from us could and it was so awesome!
- You know all the words to “ice ice baby”. Yo, VIP let’s kick it!
- You remember M.C Hammer. I was sad for him when he was on the Surreal Life
- You can still sing the rap to “Fresh Prince of BelAir”. I can do you one better, I still know the lyrics to “Parents just don’t understand”
- You own any cassettes. I might still have a New Kids tape somewhere
- You remember and/or own any of the CareBear Glass collection from Pizza Hut. I’m out on this one
- You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox. Nope, mine were very girlie
- You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf. Gargamel created her, plus there was Sassette eventually
- You know what a Doozer is. Shouldn’t this be near the Fraggle Rock one?
- You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish. Again, see fourth grade picture
- You ever had a Swatch Watch. Um…”a” Swatch Watch? I don’t know where you’re from, but you had to have multiple on at the same time.
- You actually spent countless hours trying to perfect the care-bear stare. I’ll admit to nothing of the sort.
- You had a crush on one of the Coreys (Haim or Feldman). Haim if I have to choose, but I was more of a Chad Allen girl.
- You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny. Not really, I was young in the eighties, I didn’t really watch SNL
- You had WonderWoman or Superman underoos. Don’t think so…
- You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween. I was a punk rocker and a kitty cat
- You Believed that “By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!” Brock & I watched this every Saturday
- You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye. Ditto
- You know what a “Whammee” is. (“No Whammy, no whammy, stop!!”) Nope
- Partying “like it’s 1999” seemed SO far away. Two thousand zero zero party’s over, oops out of time.
I would like to add the following things:
- Sticker books
- Baby-sitters Club
- Crimped hair
- Banana clip
- Lee Press on Nails
- Pound Puppies
- Punky Brewster
- Reading Rainbow
- Jump Rope for Heart
- Pillow People
- L.A. Gear
- You Can’t Do That on Television
- Hypercolor shirts
- Super Mario Brothers
- Duck Hunt
I almost forgot, this list should include understanding what “I carried a watermelon! I carried a watermelon?” is from.
Ah the 80s.. I admit to most of them. Fun times.
Whammy is from the game show Press Your Luck. Still in reruns on GSN, if you want to see what the hype was all about.
Press Your Luck was kind of lame. It was no Famly Feud, Sale of the Century or Super Password.
I miss my WonderWoman underoos…I made gold cuffs from construction paper and foil.